Book is a limited edition hardcover of only 1500 copies printed. Book is in very good condition without dust jacket as issued.
Published by the Masonic Book Club in 2003. 346 pages.
The name was chosen because the Blue is the basic color for Masonic regalia, and Friar is related to the French word for Brother – the term by which Freemasons… The society of the Blue Friars was formed in 1932, explicitly “to recognize Masonic Authors.” The name was chosen because the Blue is the basic color for masonic regalia, and Friar is related to the French word for Brother – the term by which Freemasons address one another; but the name Friar would also recall the monks of the Middle Ages, the mean who wrote most of the books in those days. The Society’s regulations (at least in their present form) state that “one new Friar shall be appointed each year, but that additional Friars may be appointed to fill vacancies caused by demise or resignation when the total membership is not over twenty.” Until 1944, the Society conducted all its business by correspondence. Then, on 20 February 1944, for the the first time, it held an open meetings (called a “Consistory”) in Washington, DC., as part of the annual weekend sponsored by the Allied Masonic Degrees. The gathering scheduled for 1945 had to be canceled, because of the War Effort, but since then there has been one every year. A the first eleven Annual Consistories, papers were delivered, or performances were presented, by various people-generally senior officers of the Society. But the 12th Annual Consistory (19 February 1956), for the first time, the newly proclaimed Blue Friar was invited to address the assembled Brothers. Since then, at every Consistory there has been at least one lecture, delivered by the new Friar. It seems appropriate that a collection of these inaugural papers, so far as they are available, should be published. Wallace McLeod and S. Brent Morris have endeavored to collect these papers and have them published.