- Hardcover bound in moss-green Geltex
- Artwork printed in dark green hot foil on the cover and spine
- Printed on wood free and age resistant 90 g cream paper
- Sewn book block
- Green ribbon marker and headbands
- Approx 600 Pages
- Measures 176 x 246 mm
Published by Black Letter Press
- Revised and Edited by Paul Summers Young
- Cover design by Andrei Bouzikov
- Illustrations revised by Lea Pieper
Our edition of Della Porta’s Natural Magick is based on the 1658 London edition, which in turn was a translation of the expanded Latin edition of 1589 in twenty books. It includes the suppressed chapter Lamiarum Unguenta / The Witches’ Ointment in both English and the original Latin.
Paul Summers Young has newly transcribed and edited the 1658 text, whose eccentricities make for a notoriously laborious read. Spelling and punctuation have been modernised while retaining the Early Modern character of the original; its flavour as a mid-seventeenth century text has been preserved. Rational paragraphing makes it much easier to follow the author’s line of thought, making difficult passages a much more enjoyable experience. This is greatly assisted by a new layout and typesetting.
This edition includes the original twenty-page table of contents, A Table containing the General Heads of Natural Magick, and an introduction by Paul Summers Young on the significance of the text, and what a close examination might reveal about its origins.