Special Edition; a limited edition of 300 hand-numbered examples, bound in a red cloth, with black foil blocking to the front and spine, black endpapers, with black head and tail bands.
Book is in fine unread condition.
A comprehensive study of the image of the Black Dog in folklore, with an extensive gazetteer of over 700 UK sightings and traditions.
Pagination: 248 pages, on 80gsm paper stock including line drawings and figures, plus 12 pages of black and white photographic plates.
- Chapter 1 – A general description of dog ghosts
- Chapter 2 – Dogs of the westcountry
- Chapter 3 – Family dogs
- Chapter 4 – Protective dogs
- Chapter 5 – Shucks and barguests
- Chapter 6 – Roads and bridges
- Chapter 7 – Church grims and death folklore
- Chapter 8 – Dreams and visions
- Chapter 9 – The black dog in the landscape
- Chapter 10 – The black dog in modern times
- Appendix – A gazetteer of uk black dog sightings and traditions