- 272 pages, 165×235 mm, stitched.
- printed on wood-free high quality paper (115gsm).
- 7 original full page b/w illustrations by Erica Frevel; additional photo
- Surbalin endpapers.
- Limited to 56 slip-cased copies, fully hand-bound in leather. These exemplars are further divided into 7 individual groups of 8 copies, each dedicated to one of the Sapta Matrika:
- 8 copies dedicated to Aindri (red leather)
- 8 copies dedicated to Brahmi (yellow leather)
- 8 copies dedicated to Chamunda (black leather)
- 8 copies dedicated to Kaumari (green leather)
- 8 copies dedicated to Maheshwari (white leather)
- 8 copies dedicated to Vaishnavi (blue leather)
- 8 copies dedicated to Varahi (dark blue/grey leather)
- Embossing individual to each Matrika.
- Lettering on spine, ribbon, headbands, custom slipcase.
Book is in new unread condition
The transgressive cultus of the wild, blood-thirsty and demon-slaying Matrikas (“little Mothers”) is amongst the most fascinating but least treated areas of South Asian spirituality and magic. Exploring the rich history of the Matrika Cult as well as the tantric background in which it has survived, Ferocious takes the reader deep into initiatic terrain. The goddesses are examined as a group followed by chapters for each individual Matrika, elaborating Her unique origins, iconography and mantras. An appendix offers a full treatise on an eighth Matrika sometimes worshipped with the other seven.
Historically available to lineage initiates but equally to self-initiated individuals, this work also discusses the Matrika Cult in modern times, and offers a great amount of practical guidance for those daring adepts wishing to engage in a close spiritual relationship with one or more of these furious deities. Following their highly acclaimed Underworld, the Sepulcher Society’s Ferocious again combines rigorous scholarly investigation and depth with the perspective of magical practitioners.